Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Developing New Habits of Thought and New Ways of Living



I have been living in my Winnebago for a year and a half now. The things I’ve learned and the problems I’ve solved have been an incredibly fun journey. From rolling into my college town in my recently purchased ‘bago, to making my own RV skirt system in a panic while starting grad school, to weathering my first and second winters in a very harsh environment, or parking in front of friends’ houses all summer instead of paying lot rent, or even having to rebuild my furnace in sub-zero temperatures in the dead of winter, the adventure has been fun. I realize that many might not find much of that fun, but it’s fun in a different way – it’s the creation of an adventure in daily life. It’s also an entirely new connection to wilderness.

Living in the Winnebago, I have developed new habits of mind. Working quickly, but precisely. Planning for every eventuality and planning for the unknown. Being resourceful and self-sufficient. I had these skills before, but this lifestyle has led to an amplification of these skills. The threat of the elements is powerful in the place I live, so responsibility and precision are critical in all actions. Frozen pipes, flooding from frozen pipes, or malfunctioning heating systems are just an impossibility in a place that can hit negative 40 in winter.

For those in houses or apartments, isolation from the elements is essentially guaranteed. Furnaces are reliable, reliable electricity is always on hand, heating gas comes from a pipe in the ground and not a tank. The RV is just a little closer to the very environment that we isolate and insulate ourselves from in order to survive better for longer. Rather than 4-6” thick walls with fiberglass insulation, the walls are 1.5” thick Styrofoam. The vehicle is intended for 1.5 season use in mild climates, not year-around use in a place that is winter for over half the year.

Wilderness is a legal designation for a place. But the legal designation is born from a place in the collective consciousness of westerners that is different from the human or domestic space. Whether that line can ever be crossed or whether that line exists at all is a question worth pondering. Pertaining to life in a Winnebago, I am closer to whatever that wilderness might be on a daily basis only because of the fine line that exists between the risk of failure and the elements that would normally threaten life.

Am I at risk? Not really. Am I closer to “wilderness”? Maybe. But it’s not the wilderness that is designated legally. The wilderness I end up closer to is cold temperatures, frozen pipes, and a house that is almost an inside-out version of a foundation house. My water pipe is outside in open air, my sewer line hovers above the ground, and my picture windows are a windshield that is now insulated only by creatively repurposed quilts that dramatically change the r-value of the single-pane glass windshield.

I now live as naturally in a land ship as anyone else does in a brick and mortar house. It has created a new habit of thought about what a home is, what wilderness is, the role of adventure in our daily lives, and a deep understanding and respect for the fragility of life. Perhaps most of all, it has led to an understanding of the inextricable reliance on technology and energy for life in just about any place north or south of the tropics. Technology is as much a part of the human as it is the wilderness in these spaces because we could not survive here in the way we do without it. Even in a Winnebago, I am insulated from primal nature through technology and energy – I am only inches closer to whatever that environment is by choice and new ways of living that provide me the privilege to pay rent at-will and to go anywhere I want to live at a moment’s notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment