Thursday, November 20, 2014

Evolving Propane Strategy

In a previous post, I outlined my new propane strategy. That strategy was just a start and the system is actively evolving. When I decided to revamp this system for better mobility, I knew I was going to have one problem: When I was getting my new 40# tank filled, there would be no propane attached to the RV. That's a problem that I knew I was going to have to overcome and I have found a way.

It's not so much that I have found a way as it is completion of the system that was destined for evolution. Instead of having one tank, I need two 40# tanks and a system for ensuring that I can switch out tanks as a tank empties.

In short, the system requires that when a tank empties, I switch to the next full tank, and go get the empty tank refilled. All that means is that when the switch happens, the empty tank goes in the car to be filled the next time I go into town (which happens to be every day).

This system is a pain in the ass, but I knew it would be. It means I'm hauling propane tanks a couple times a week to town and transporting a 70 Lb bomb in my tiny, disintegrating car. Life on the fringe, amiright?! haha.

But seriously, this system allows me to pick up and leave at any moment without having to call anyone to come pick up my tank and eliminates moving costs. While I will undoubtedly spend the money lost for moving costs in the form of time and inconvenience, is it that inconvenient to get a propane tank filled once or twice a month?

The system will soon evolve further. I am currently trying to figure out how to put a T-junction in the vehicle's propane line safely, so I can leave the vehicle tank attached while the exterior grill tank (40# tanks) line is attached. In non-van-dweller English, it means I can simply disconnect the exterior tank, coil up the hose, hang it in the propane compartment, and drive away without having to use tools to disconnect and reconnect propane flare fittings. In English-English, it will be vastly more convenient.

That's the latest, but I think I'm onto something. Even better, the two 40# external tanks will fit into my basement storage, so I can transport them anywhere. Life is good and getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment