Friday, September 14, 2012

Checkpoint: How's living in the RV?

It has become apparent that I'm living on some fringe as a student living in a motor home full time. So far, one of the most frequent questions is, "What's it like?!" I think the answer is actually super simple.

Considering that RV's are made for those who don't want to exit the hard-shell home space of a home, motor homes are made as tiny houses on wheels. "Tiny" has some wiggle room to it, since some of the boats out there are gigantic.

What I have learned is that it's simple, easy to clean, and has all of the comforts of home, just on a smaller scale. Since my rolling home has a stove, oven, microwave, refrigerator/freezer, shower, toilet, two sinks, a kitchen table, a full-sized queen bed, and two TV's, I have everything that was important in my stick house, but on a scale fit for one person.

The only oddities that I'm consciously aware of are the need to drain the sewer once a week (opening two valves, no mess), and that showers have to basically be less than 8 minutes since the hot water heater is only 6 gallons.

So, the answer is simple -- it's just like living in a house, but on a small scale. So far, I really like it. One problem I anticipate is winter -- the walls are insulated with styrofoam, but the temperature changes appear to be quite severe. I'm going to have to find a way to conserve energy during winter, but not freeze pipes. Lots of new insulation will be needed in strategic places. Otherwise, still having a great time with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment