Sunday, October 7, 2012

Enduring the first freezes

Temperatures are falling on the high plains early this October. The temperatures at night have been in the high teens, which has helped me to gauge what the coming months are going to be like.

So far, it looks like my water hose is going to do well, though in a conversation with EasyHeat, my heat wire wraps will only be tight enough on the hose for -15 degrees even with the insulation. Eek.

I'm also now running to complete the skirt, so the floor doesn't get so cold. Hopefully the plan works as expected.

All of the water lines are pretty well protected by the furnace running, except the one running under the floor to the kitchen sink. I am hoping that between the skirt and the heat in the cabin that the frost gradient will protect the pipe. A frozen water line under the floor would be disastrous. Luckily, it's PEX tubing, so it should be pretty resilient.

Regrettably, since I wasn't able to complete all these projects before school started, my life has basically centered on keeping up with school, working on winterizing the RV for arctic temps, eating food, and trying to socialize in the time in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment