Friday, April 12, 2013

I am the 0.4%

I just stumbled on an article that said that 1.3 million Americans are full-time RV'ers. While I'm not really an "RV'er" per say, I do live in an RV full-time. With ~314 million people in the U.S., that means I'm part of the 0.4% of the population living in an RV full-time, either by choice or necessity.

The difference between me and the likely majority that comprise the statistic is that I'm probably about half of the age of most "RV'ers." I'm also not using my RV for "Recreation" -- I'm not spending my days in national parks or living on a pension. I'm parked in a shitty dirt lot behind the office building of the trailer park I'm currently living in. I've been at that location since August and I'll likely only be there until April 30th.

So, as inglorious as it might sound, living in an RV behind an office building for 8-9 months a year, the fact that it's only for that duration is actually quite glorious. Though, that's really the saving grace --- the fact that I get to move my RV a couple times a year for a job somewhere... else.

So, while the 0.4% of the country who are living in RV's year-around probably aren't doing it the way I am, I suppose I'm now part of a strange club of nomads -- a tiny minority of American citizens. Instead of being chained to a landlord or a mortgage company, I'm chained to school and then the fear of utter poverty when school is out. It seems freer, at least for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment