Saturday, May 4, 2013

Panic sets in.

I am out of my RV space as of tomorrow. I have the RV all packed up, some gas in the tank, and have it free from its shackles. But it's not that easy. What's next is terrifying and logistically intensive. For the first time, I think I may have pushed the limits a little too far.

I suppose part of my worry about this situation stems from the fact that I am also in finals right now. I am also maxed out on energy and number of minutes in a day.

I have places I can take the RV to park it -- friends houses or even public land, but there's still snow on the ground here. Nights are still getting down in the low 30's. Without electricity, other than what my generator can provide (using gasoline), I'm basically in a really large, heavy tent.

While I think I would be fine with this in the Summer, I still have obligations at school, so the uncertainty this introduces into my daily routines is really difficult to work with.

I have no problem living minimally for a while, but this is becoming a major lesson in truly appreciating the infrastructure that makes our lives easier and better. Also, the idea of having a true 'home base.' I set out on this experiment wondering how this would all work out and how important the home base really is, but right now I'm really feeling it.

Since I'm a little overwhelmed right now, part of me wants to sell the 'bago and just become a normal person, paying rent and living in a house. My time in the RV has actually been great -- little different than living in a tiny house. But unhook all the utilities, including water, sewer, and electricity, and suddenly, the wold looks much different.

Hopefully my misgivings pass once finals are over. This is just the wrong time to be continuing to invent a wheel that first-world humans abandoned quite some time ago -- perhaps the foundation house with a landlord really is the way to go? I guess time will tell. I intend to stick it out for at least another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment