Thursday, May 23, 2013

When time is more abundant than money

The cost of not paying rent might actually be quite high. Today, I had to do RV chores: draining tanks, refilling water, cleaning house, and I even repaired a drawer. In addition to all of the little things that are different and more time consuming than living in a foundation house, these things consumed a good portion of my day.

The first step was to unplug the RV from my friends' house. No problem, just unplug the extension cord and coil it up. Then, I had to prep the interior for travel. When you're driving a house down the road, you can't just leave your laptop out on the kitchen table. One turn and it would be on the floor.

After some cleanup, I drove to my sewer drain and watering hole location. Only 3 miles across town - no problem, but I probably burned a gallon of gas off in doing so.

Upon arrival, I have to open multiple compartments -- getting supplies, access to the water closet, etc. I also have to jack up the front of the RV, so the tanks drain properly. Don't want any cat turds rolling into the front of the tank and preventing a full drain.

Gloves, hoses, sewer hose, tank sprayer: Check. Now to put it all together in a way that won't make a mess. Connect the sewer line, level it out, connect the "black water hose" to the tank sprayer and the spigot and run it into the RV to the toilet. Ready to clean the tanks.

Drain the tanks, black water then gray; Crank up the H2O. Whoops, the hose is kinked under the RV. Fix the kink, start again on cleaning the tanks.

Once drained and rinsed, run out the rest of the water along the entire length of the sewer hose. Disconnect it from the RV drain and make sure not to get any poo water on you. Shrink up the hose, so it will fit in the compartment, drain any remaining water on the ground. Yeah, the ground.

Remove the black water hose, coil it up, disconnect it from the spigot.

Connect the fresh water hose to the spigot, fill up the drinking water jug (5 gallon, portable), then fill up the RV water tank for toilet flushing and dish washing.

Clean up everything, put it all away, close and lock all compartments.

Is this all worth it? Well, that's a sticky question. I now have more time than money, so right now: Yes. It is time consuming, though. The thing is, I'm not paying rent, but I'm working harder for my day-to-day existence. Regrettably, I'm not sure if I the utility that I am getting out of the money saved is nearing the value I would get from the convenience of being in a stable location. Sure, I don't have a landlord, but if I stay where I am for much longer, I'm pretty sure the town Police are going to start acting like my landlord. Time will tell, but this part of the plan certainly comes with some time consuming additional activities and some additional worries. Still, I'm having fun, which counts for a lot.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Peter!

    Glad you're still blogging your experience - all good lessons learned for us future RV nomads.

    Best of luck,

    Rob Bauer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rob! Glad you're still following -- I have a bunch of follow-ups to post soon. I changed some techniques around the house and found ways to save even more water without impacting my sense of civility. The end result is much longer durations between tank dumps. I'll be in Boulder soon -- we can grab coffee or lunch if you're around!

      Delete