Sunday, May 19, 2013

Rent Dodging Progress

I have now been rent free for two weeks. Sounds great and it is. However, there's work involved and there are drawbacks. Luckily, the RV is a fully self-contained house, so I have all that a house has on a smaller scale, but that means everything -- water, electricity, and a stable interior temperature. I currently enjoy the uncertainties and the ability to drive away as soon as I'm ready.

The work involved is primarily centered around keeping the system working optimally. It comes in the form of tiny actions here and there that determine how frequently the beast has to be moved. Hand washing, dishes, toilet flushing, and any other water activity have to be done efficiently and with as little water as possible to prevent one or the other waste tank from filling quickly. Full tanks are a trigger for having to dump them, which means moving the RV.

Not having a beefy 30 Amp electrical connection, I also have to pay attention to how many devices I use at once and how much electricity they use. Now that I'm on a 12 Amp extension cord, I can't exceed 12 Amps while plugged in to my friends' house. Not only would it be rude to blow their breaker, but I don't want to overtax the cord, melt it, or cause a fire.

Since it is now warmer, I am also not running the furnace. Since I am no longer hooked up to a 120 gallon propane tank, I am at the mercy of the built in 15 gallon tank. 15 gallons is more than enough for the entire summer of cooking and baking, but it will go somewhat quickly as the refrigerator will be on propane as soon as I no longer have a wired electrical line at houses of friends.

Luckily I'm in a college town, so everyone is really accepting of this -- having friends who are not only willing, but who think it is awesome to have me park at their houses is a major benefit to my situation. I'm sure some of the neighbors aren't crazy about it, but it is only temporary.

The work involved in rent dodging might not be totally worth the modest rent that I am trying to dodge due to the work involved, but so far, it is allowing me a freedom that I find unmatched. The little things I'm learning along the way and the potential to head out to state land for months at a time is quite liberating. How the rest of the summer goes will be the real test of the feasibility of this strange little lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment